Pumpkin cake

Dear readers, I apologize I've not written for so long...I was moving houses!! And when I was ready to share with you one of my favorite recipes I discovered my new oven was broken!! Devastated! now it's all fixed and I've been baking and roasting like there is no tomorrow =). The next recipe is a very traditional venezuelan dessert Pumpkin Cake. I could not find a recipe for that cake that suited my taste and my daughters so I 've decided based on my knowledge of food to write my own.



Pumpkin cake is not a sponge it's more like a wet cake. It's a very good idea to smuggle pumpkin to fussy eaters.

I tried this recipe with brown sugar and wholemeal self raisin flour but the cake didn't turn out great so white self raisin flour and caster sugar are the way to go. You can use full cream milk or almond milk and get the same results.

This is my recipe, I hope you all enjoy it.

Ingredients:

1 cup of cooked butternut pumpkin
1 cup of self raisin flour
1 cup of caster sugar
250 g of unsalted butter.
3 eggs.
1/4 cup of milk (almond milk can be used as substitute).
1 teaspoon of nutmeg.
1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.

Preparation:
  • Pre heat the oven at 170C fan forced.
  • Boil the butternut pumpkin until soft, let it set aside to cool. Once cool, drain it and add the milk, make a mash.
  • With an electric mixer, beat the unsalted butter until soft, add sugar and mix well. 
  • Add the eggs one at a time to the butter-sugar mix.
  • Beat in the spices and vanilla extract.
  • Add the pumpkin mash and the flour and fold the mixture.
  • In a greased 20 cm mould, pour the mixture and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until cooked.
Enjoy!! Mine didn't last long at home!!

I ate it with a cup of coffee in my favorite baseball team cup that my family sent from Venezuela.


I hope this recipe brings you memories of home far away.

Until next time.

Comments