Baking adventures

I would like to share with you some of my baking experiences. Cake decorating is really hard if you are unprepared. If you are really serious and want to produce beautiful iced cakes and cupcakes you will need practice and the right equipment and tools. I thought I could ice a cake without buying anything extra for my kitchen but I was wrong, the more I practiced, watched videos and asked friends the more I started supplying my kitchen with new tools. You don't need fancy tools but you do need some tools. I first bought a pipping bag because it was cheap....not worth it! after all the effort you go into baking a cake and making your buttercream, you really need a good piping bag and good tips, disposables are not so bad if the tips are good. For fondant, I bought a fondant rolling pin, not the most expensive one just one that looked like it could do the job and it did! wooden pin did not work out well for me so maybe it's ok to buy the fondant pin if this is something you want to try. I also bought a turning table to ice my cakes which at the beginning I foolishly thought I did not need but after I tried to ice a rose cake...a sore neck and wrist later, I realised I did need it!, so it was a good investment to get it after all.  

There are a lot of options to suit every budget. I find Cake boss good value for money although Wilton has so much variety and good quality products but comes with the price tag. The Ultimate Decorating kit from Wilton is a dream, it brings pretty much everything you will ever need to decorate cakes. I would also recommend taking some classes so you can assess what you really need and what recommendations the instructors give since most of these courses provide all the tools and ingredients it's a good opportunity to test and try.

So...my baking adventures have been really fun (mostly). Below you can see some photos:

Venezuelan Creme Caramel (Quesillo). http://luisanaskitchen.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/quesillo-venezuelan-creme-caramel.html

Rose cake - second attempt


http://luisanaskitchen.blogspot.com.au/2014/02/three-milk-sponge-cake-with-meringue.html

Ricotta Cheesecake for my weeding anniversary



Little meringues (suspiros) for baby shower. http://luisanaskitchen.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/suspiros-meringues.html

Cupcakes for baby shower. Colour buttercream can be challenging!! they were meant to be blue. 

Christmas cupcakes

Peanut butter cookies

Chocolate cake: http://luisanaskitchen.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/chocolate-cake.html change the almond meal for Self raising flour and chocolate shards made using dark and white chocolate melts.

Vanilla cake with dark chocolate swirl covered in chocolate buttercream and M&M for my husband birthday.

Triple chocolate mouse cake.

Vanilla cake covered in fondant for my daughter's birthday.

Carrot cake with cream cheese icing.

Well, my family loves chocolate hence all the chocolate cakes =). I'll keep practising and most likely will take cake decorating classes.

Happy cooking! Practice and right tools make perfect!




Comments