Baking and Cake decorating for beginners

My eldest daughter birthday will be in a few weeks as a challenge to myself I have decided that I'll make her birthday cake with full on decorations, fondant, etc. I have never worked with fondant let alone made my own, I am also not very good with a pipping bag but challenge accepted!.

People say that practise make the master so every fortnight I will make some sort of cake and decorate it as a practice run before my daughter's birthday, she wants a Monster high three tiers cake with zebra decorations, a bow and painted fondant. Ideas and suggestions are welcome, hopefully I'll know what I am doing before her big day.

Baking is one of my favourite things to do in the kitchen, watching your cakes raising and sharing your finished product with your friends and family is such a joy, a lot of love is put into baking a delicious cake and I personally have fond memories as a child baking with my mum.

So as part of this practising round I have already made some delicious cupcakes for my daughters school with chocolate buttercream icing.


And last weekend I baked a vanilla cake and filled it with strawberry jam and decorated it with pink coloured buttercream icing, I tried a rose technique I think I am improving my pipping skills.


You can see where my youngest stuck her little finger to try she said oh Bless. lots of practising ahead. Until next time and happy cooking.

Comments